Sunday, June 24, 2012

Monday Made It

It's time to link us with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for.....


I have the ultimate Monday Made it. I don't think I can ever top this one.

I made a whole bedroom

That's right. I Monday-Made a room

It's like the teacher-bloggy edition of Extreme Makeover. 

Backstory: when we moved into our house I chose  the colors for my girlie's bedroom. Olivia told me she wanted a space theme, so that's what I gave her. All the colors of saturn with vintage moon maps and a solar system on the ceiling. She grew out of it very quickly. The colors really aren't her. To make it worse, she chose the littlest bedroom, and by little I mean teeny tiny. Her bed took up most of her room, she hated the vintage desk I found for her, and she had no where to store all her little treasures. This is what it looked like:


See? It's so tiny I can't even get a full photo. Tah-heeeeen-nee!! Itty Bitty! And messy...oops!


Last Thursday, I was struck with a brilliant idea. Looloo's birthday (Olivia/Liv/Livvy/Livvy-loo/Looloo) is June 24th (yesterday). What if I sent her away with my parents for the weekend (for a "birthday weekend extravaganza with Nana and Papa), and we totally redid her room? 

I called on all the powers that be and made it so. We dropped her off at my mom's and got to work immediately. One trip to Ikea, a trip to Menards and two trips to Home Depot later....

But first, before the unveiling, you must see the card Bails picked out for Liv. It is Mustache happiness!!


And Olivia as she see her room for the first time....


and here is her new room:






The color is one she chose before when we were at Home Depot looking at paint for another project. It matches her new comforter perfectly. See the curtain over her closet? She has been begging for a door on her closet for-evah. There are all these little pieces of fabulous like chalk-board clings on the walls, cool storage containers and boxes, new wall sconces, and the wonderfulness goes on and on and on. I want to live in her bedroom now!

And wanna see the best Made it Monday part? Her old bookcase was black, and looked like this:

I took the paint sample to Archivers and picked out paper to Mod Podge it. Here's how:

1. First I painted the inside and top white. The sides and back didn't matter, so we left them alone. 

2. Next, I measured and trimmed the paper so that it would fit perfectly. 

3. I started at the top and spread Mod Podge over the space one piece of paper would take up. I used a wide brush to spread the MP. I was careful to not use too much. 


4. Here is the critical step: I used a ruler to smooth the paper over and over and over. This is what kept bubbles, creases and wrinkles to a minimum. 

5. After the paper had dried, I added a top coat. 


6. After letting it dry, I flipped it over and did the other side. The I turned it on its back and did the inside. Then I sprayed the entire piece with an acrylic fixative spray.

It turned out so fabulous that I am absolutely freaking out

15 comments:

  1. Your daughter's reaction of "Ho-ly crap!" is right on. Amazing transformation! I want to live there now, too! Way to go!

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE how you surprised your daughter!!! So neat and her room turned out awesome! I wasn't able to see the pics of it but the video gave me a peek;) Her reaction....priceless!!! Book case is too cute and all kinds of yummy!!!! Thanks for linking up and I hope you come back next week:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the room, it looks great! Love the videos :)

    We did the same thing for my neighbor girls. They were at camp for a week and my neighbor asked me to help with all 3 bedrooms. I've known the family since before the girls were born.

    We had sooo much fun and their reactions were priceless!

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher
    Endless Pinabilitites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a genuine and fabulous reaction to your great surprise. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is awesome! I love your daughter's reaction. Priceless! You did a great job with the room. I'm ready to move in myself.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief
    Fiction Friday: A Celebration of Children’s Literature

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right...you have the ultimate Monday Made It! Her room is beautiful! I love how you utilized the space. And her reaction is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an awesome surprise! It turned out great!

    Meg
    Third Grade in the First State

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift for your daughter!! It turned out amazing :) I think this is the best "Monday Made It" I've seen!

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  9. OKay first off I loved the beginning of your post! Had me laughing out loud! You weren't kidding when you said you had extreme makeovere-d a whole room! And wow wow wow! It looks great! Just like an episode on HGTV. Best of all, you can tell how much your daughter loves it. Priceless reaction! :) You're inspiring me to get my dining room painted and redone!

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an amazing room! What a lucky girl! If you'd like to makeover another room for next week's link up, I've got a couple you can choose from... :)

    Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!
    Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bookshelf. I want one!
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. What an amazing birthday gift to your daughter! It's all my favorite colors, and I kind of want you to come to MY house now :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the room makeover. I wish I was that creative. I do have an old bookshelf I have been trying to figure out what to do with....now I know!!! I am a new follower! Would love for you to check out my blog as well at:

    http://talesfroma4thand5thgradeteacher.blogspot.com/

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have awarded you the LOVELY BLOG AWARD!! Stop by my blog to pick it up!! :)

    http://talesfroma4thand5thgradeteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete