I was selected by Nancy Carroll for the Rockstar Meme Award (#rockstarmeme), and now it's become clear that I've got some catch-up to do. Nancy writes a fab education blog full of great ideas and innovative teaching.
So how has blogging rocked my world? It's all about three things: building relationships, developing myself professionally, and reflecting.
I have come to understand the power of connecting; connecting with students, peers, parents and other teachers. It's like being a spider and throwing out your line to others. Blogging has given me many new threads, all connected to others in education. These fine educators continually inspire me and ask me to look at my own teaching. They are the ones who can share in the joy that comes from educating.
Blogging gives me ideas. It's like a giant mind-map. I can always rely on the blogs I follow to get that hamster in my head to start running on her wheel. The best part is when I come across a great idea I wasn't even looking for. It's like Christmas every day.
Lastly, blogging continually asks me to look at myself and my own practices. It's a constant check and balance. You can't pretend everything you do is perfect and without the need for improvement and change when you are always reading what other teachers are doing, and when you are writing about your own practice. Stopping reflection encourages complacency, and there is no room for that when you are responsible for kids' learning.
I am passing this #Rockstar Meme onto the following people:
- Mrs. Huettle - http://mrshuettlsbusybees.blogspot.com/
A fellow grad student and an amazing teacher
- Josh Stumpenhorst - http://stumpteacher.blogspot.com/
- http://teachingiselementary.blogspot.com/ nancy, you don't have to have to pass it on again :) I wanted others to note your blog.
- William Chamberlain - http://mrcsclassblog.blogspot.com/
He never fails to crack me up. He definitely teaches like his own pants are on fire.
- Jessica Meacham - http://www.jmeacham.com/
What I love best about Jessica is that she so freely shares her ideas. I love the video tours of her room.
When one is awarded the meme, according to the originator Guhlin, they are supposed to Write a Post about how Blogging has Rocked your World then:
- respond to the meme and link back to this blog entry
- leave a comment on this blog entry and then ask 5 more people to participate
- Notify those 5 people by sending them a quick note (a tweet prob would work).