Friday, June 22, 2012

Fiction Friday


Amanda over at The Teaching Thief is hosting this very cool linky called Fiction Fridays. I love Fiction Fridays because not only am I new to 4th grade, I also have daughters who are 10 and 12 and am always having conversations with them about books, too.

Here are some good reads I found this week:

Esperanza Rising


This is a story of a 13 year old girl who lives on a ranch in Mexico with her mother and father. Her father is murdered on the night of her birthday, leaving Esperanza and her mother and grandmother to support themselves. Eventually, they must go to California to work in the fields.

This is a story of changing perspectives. It features strong women who are vulnerable yet grit it out. It is about values and what is truly important in life - family, love and happiness.

Esperanza Rising is a historical fiction aimed at giving a perspective on Mexico and California on the 1930's. It provides a context for learning about immigrant workers and the onset of the depression.


Grandfather's Journey



This beautifully illustrated book by Allen Say is the story of a man who travels between two countries, Japan and the U.S., only to find that one can have two homes of the heart oceans apart. Eventually his grandson travels from Japan to California and discovers why his grandfather had such a deep love of both places.

If you are unfamiliar with Allen Say, his illustrations alone are worth a trip to the library.

3 comments:

  1. Grandfather's Journey is in our reading basal. This is our first example of historical fiction, sequence, and the concept of people leaving their country to travel to another.

    I also like the idea that there are picture books directed to 4th grade reading levels.
    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks for linking up. I hope you have gotten some good ideas for your 4th grade classroom. :)

    I LOVE Esperanza Rising and I mean... I LOVE it. I have used it as a read aloud and as a book club book. Pam Munoz Ryan is one of my favorite authors. Have you read Becoming Naomi Leon? It is more of a 5th grade book, but it's amazing. She also has a great picture book Mice and Beans that I love too. Oh, and Hello Ocean is great as a mentor text for writing.

    Sorry, I get a little carried away when I start talking about books. Happy reading!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief
    Fiction Friday: A Celebration of Children’s Literature

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your post through the link up. Can't wait to join in soon. I love finding out about new books to use in my classroom.

    Your newest follower,
    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete