Sunday, January 5, 2014

QR-a-Palooza

I went to a techie-professional-development thing a few weeks back. I always come out of these things all fired up with ideas. Does the professional development you get at your district ever make you feel that way?

The mini-session I sat in on was using QR codes. QR stands for Quick Response, and you've probably seen them on store windows or cereal boxes. The word I want to put emphasis on is QUICK. I found out just how quick these babies can get your kids from sitting on their duffs to researching.

First thing I needed was something that I wanted my students to link to. I had a video on the Nile that I wanted them to use as research for natural resources.

Next, I needed a code generator. There are a million of them out there, and all of them should be free. My favorite is QR stuff.  http://www.qrstuff.com/


I pasted the link in and downloaded the QR code. I printed it out and give it to each student with an iPad. The QR scanner was already loaded on the iPads, so they scanned the code and it immediately brought them to the video. Easy Peasy. 

The best part is that there is some magical draw to scanning codes for kids. The motivation is huge. 

I love techie things that actually make my job more fun!

2 comments: