Tuesday, December 31, 2013

One Little Word for 2014

I had a nice little blog post all typed up in my head when I came across this. Sometimes fewer words are better, so thank you to Sunny Days in Second Grade for making our lives simpler today.



I had a gut-twisting realization this fall. I guess I've always known it, tried to live it, but a facebook post made me rethink it. It went something like "Kids are learning by making mistakes". Of course. We all know that. But I was thinking about teaching while in the shower (the best thinking place besides driving alone) and all of a sudden I really understood what this meant - like in a Big Picture kind of way. 

My expectations are too high most of the time. Sure, I can let kids make mistakes with math and reading and spelling and all the other academic things. But when it comes to classroom manners, socialization skills and behavior expectations, I am way, way hard on the Fab Fours. 

So my word for 2014 is Patience (with a capital P). I am going to be patient with the blurts, the sidetalking, the farting, the hallway talking, the too-loud lunchroom shenanagins, the interruptions. I am going to guide my students, with scaffolding and love, on these important points of learning.

What's your word of 2014? Link up with Sunny Days and share. 


edit:
Aha! I found the link! This was my inspiration.
http://katrinaannewillis.com/2013/08/11/expected-grace/

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. :-) I'm sure there are many of us out there that could remember - through all the stress, testing, pressure, evaluations, etc. - that at the end of the day they are kids. They are still learning, and we are guiding them. Thanks for reminding me to guide them with patience.

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete